Many times, we get in the way of ourselves, meaning our beliefs limit us from reaching our goals. We all have limiting beliefs, some more than others. Since they are at the subconscious level, most of us are not even aware that we have them; however, they can stand in the way of being successful in your business or other areas of your life. Discover these 5 tips of identifying and overcoming limiting beliefs to help you create and have your ideal business and ideal life.
What is a Limiting Belief?
Beliefs are perceptions based on memories of past experiences, and how we have interpreted them. We make emotional attachments to people and events, which then become the foundation of our belief system. Beliefs translate on how we view ourselves, others, and situations, and give us a sense of certainty on how we act on a daily basis. These influence the decisions you make throughout the day based on expectations that you have. A limiting belief causes you to automatically make an assessment based on something that is inaccurate.
Limiting Beliefs Impeded Your Goals
While some limiting beliefs are easier to identify than others, they do begin to become part of your identity. Limiting beliefs have a negative impact on your life because they stunt your personal growth. By keeping you in your comfort zone, you will never explore other options that allow you to improve. When you create a goal, you will probably be very motivated for the first few days, but that motivation wanes over time. That’s partially due to your limiting beliefs affecting your thoughts. Those beliefs that are negative must be dealt with before you can move forward.
Limiting Belief Example
Let’s examine how a limiting belief can crush a goal of growing your business by making client acquisition / revenue generation phone calls. One would not be able to get new clients with any of the following limiting beliefs:
- I can’t call them because they might hang up on me.
- I may not have the products or services they need.
- I will seem pushy if I call and ask for their business.
- I probably don’t have a good enough attention getting opening, so they will reject me.
The list can be endless for every goal you want to achieve. Limiting beliefs are the excuses that are holding you back from living your life the way you want to.
Identifying Limiting Beliefs
Everyone has a different perception of the way something occurred. We all have limiting beliefs but most of them are not relevant to our everyday life. In order to be successful, you need to only focus on those issues that are important.
- Make a List. Think about the areas of your life in which you feel challenged. If there is an area that you struggle with, and you are not working on fixing it, it is probably due to a limiting belief. This could be at work, with finances, or your relationships with others.
- Make Another List. According to the challenges you listed above, make a list of your beliefs. Include both positive and negative during the brainstorming process. Think about how much you could accomplish at work if you weren’t held back by the negative beliefs.
- Deal with the Negativity. Read each belief aloud and ask if it is truth or your perception. For those negative beliefs, ask where they came from. You cannot get accurate conclusions about people or life events from only a few experiences.
- Choose One and Disavow it. Pick one negative belief and tell yourself that it is no longer true and examine the source. For example, maybe you never actually tried it yourself and are basing your thoughts on others’ opinions.
- Replace with an Action. Replace every negative vow with a positive one. For example, the limiting belief that your new service offering will fail. New belief: There are many benefits of this new and more comprehensive service model that my clients will respond positively to. Action: Make a list of benefits that you can use for marketing materials and in scripting for communicating this great new service model, so that people are eager to take advantage of it.
With daily measurement of how you now feel about the belief, you can overcome the negative thoughts. When that has been completed, move to the next negative belief and work your way down the list using the same process. Replace the negativity with core beliefs that support your goals. Once your beliefs change, the way you act will too and you will find yourself being more productive.
You can replace limiting beliefs with more positive thoughts. Until you have identified and eliminated the self-limiting beliefs, you will not be able to reach all your goals in the time frame you desire.
If you would like help dealing with your limiting beliefs, so you can ultimately enjoy having your ideal business and ideal life, reach out to me today to schedule your complimentary consultation.
Download my Are Your Limiting Beliefs Stopping You from Achieving Your Goals? Guidebook now by going to https://bit.ly/Limiting-Beliefs-Book.
Do you feel like your business has plateaued or you are sick and tired of being sick and tired? Could you use a shot in the arm to make even more progress on your goals? Consider working with The Accountability Coach. I’m here to help you accelerate your results, so you can enjoy your ideal business and ideal life!
Want timely and relevant information to help you make more money and work less, so you can enjoy your ideal business and ideal life? Subscribe to my business success tips blog by going to https://www.accountabilitycoach.com/blog/. Feel free to share this with others who you think would get value. Let me know how else I can be of assistance to you on your goal achievement journey.